There's So Much to tell you about the Underground Kitchen

But, unfortunately, I cannot.

I can tell you that tonight I dined at Charleston's own Underground Kitchen...a social concept dinner party in its second month. The quick run down (and if you want the less quick run down, click the link above), is that the UK is a dinner where you don't know the other guests, you don't know what you're going to eat, and you don't even know where you're going to eat. (The day before the dinner you receive the Top Secret information about the location but that is all.)

Here's what I can divulge:

I had my dinner and drinks at a long, long table with about 30 other people. The seating placements were random in that they were meant to get strangers to talk to each other but planned in that people who already knew each other were separated as much as possible. I dined on a three-course gourmet meal prepared by chefs whose names shall not be spoken. I had delightful, thoughtful, and interesting conversation with unique people. I can tell you that we talked about light topics like civil rights, discrimination, education, and art, and very serious things like Scrabble and Sean Connery on SNL Celebrity Jeopardy (Swords!!). In the end, for a modest price plus a bottle of wine for the communal table, I had four hours of great food, great people, and great conversation.

And I can tell you this: as long as this fun and unique dining experience continues, I will be there (unless, of course, it conflicts with my very important Scrabble schedule).

Click here for the updated version of the night.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Since I wasn't an actual invitee, but was instead the guest of an actual invitee (meaning I didn't get the rules of what to and what not to divulge) may I please copy and credit your blog onto mine so that I can tell people about it without telling too much?

J-Si

Tina said...

Why, certainly, m'lady.

Tina said...

OH! And, by the way, there are no real invitees, so-to-speak. You get to be an invitee just by adding your name to the e-mail list on their blog. Then it's first-come-first-served.

redneck muppet said...

spill as many beans as you want! i'll have recipes up starting tonight or tomorrow, but y'all should definitely put your take on the night up! we wanna hear it!